Sunday, October 22, 2006

An Embarassment of Riches

My entry today is about grace and graciousness.
I am the kind of person who thinks I can always take care of it all. This part of my life has shown me that it is no longer true. You see, I have a posse. Some are near and some are far away, but all of them have not hesitated once to offer me help in some manner. Whether it be helping me with food or getting Elliot and Wyatt where they need to be, or going to breast cancer functions with me, or just letting me talk about it constanly, or even flying here to Seattle to sit with me during chemo, they have a rallied around me and my family.
It has not been easy for me to accept all this help. That is where graciousness comes in. I believe that people TRULY want to help. Because if the shoe were on the other foot I would be there in a heartbeat. I have learned that when someone offers help that I just need to say "yes, thankyou" and let them help. I cannot and do not want to go through this alone. I have actually enjoyed the extra attention in a sick and twisted way if I am being honest with you reader. Who doesn't want their favorite people to be around? A friend of mine likened this whole thing to having your first baby. And it's soooooo true. You get on the internet and read all you can. Folks give you advice or tell you about something a friend of a friend did.
I digress...
I need the help and I think people genuinely want to help. So I will just say yes, thankyou when offers come in the most gracious way I can. I am so thankful to all. I may not say it because I am embarassed to feel weak. I am so grateful for all my riches.

Peace Out

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could not have said it better! It is so true, so many of us want to make your life and situation easier to deal with. I am so proud of you! Thank you so much for letting us in and letting us help! I know it will be tough sometimes to feel gracious but just remember we all want to do our part to support and when you need something pick up the phone and call 206-963-2233. I too have lots of support and people who can take my kids in a heartbeat if I can help you in anyway! Take care! I would love to sit with you during Chemo or do anything for you guys so I will be intouch! I am sad I will be out of thown the 27th-29th but will be back for good after that so remember me!

Rose