Saturday, January 06, 2007

My Little Piece of Glitter










Happy Birthday Wyatt!
Today is Wyatt's 2nd birthday. Hard for me to believe. At 9:20 AM on 1/6/2005, three hours after my water broke, I had this little bug. It's really gone by so fast.
I knew with Wyatt I was having a "planned" C-section. I also knew that Elliot had come early and that it was a very traumatic birth experience for us. So yes, I was a bit nervous to see what having this baby would be like. I was talking to someone in December before my "planned" date had been set and this person, who has no children, told me not to be so worried about it. Are you kidding me? A woman who has not had a child should never begin to advise one who has. There are SO many reasons for this rule. First being the hormone factor, second not having an equal experience to compare it to, third never having a full contraction, I could go on and on , but won't due to the lack of time and space on the blog. I will say that when this person gets pregnant, I will only smile and nod my head remembering all the advise and suggestions she gave me. Then I will let her live out her own experience. As it should be.
The summer I was pregnant with Wyatt was a difficult one. My dad had major heart surgery, so I was flying back and forth to Texas. We had also had some testing done on Wyatt that had some indicators that she might have some birth defects. It was an emotionally charged pregnancy, but what one isn't?
When my water broke at 6AM, the day I was supposed to go meet my surgeon, I knew once again, this would not be "planned". I did meet my surgeon that morning, right before he cut me open. I won't go over every detail but I will say it was a completely different experience than my first. Yes, there were contractions on the way to the hospital, and they hurt. I thought getting to have another c-section I would never have to feel those again. But when your kids always come early, that's not the deal.
We had all four of us in a room by 10:30 that morning. We were complete as a family. Wyatt was that final installment. Elliot was jumping at the chance to see her new baby sister. I believe she held her before I did. She was all giggles and smiles. So proud to hold the baby. To this day Elliot is Wyatt's great protector and playmate.
I live for this two little birds. I would do anything for them. I am like a mother bear to protect them. I, with my partner are the guiding force in their lives. I love them more than air. My duty on earth is to see them grow and flourish. My course is set. Critics and heretics be damned, they are my charge.
The four of us are a family. We do not take this lightly. We do not stumble along, groping to do the right thing. Our bond is strong. Our love is great. We are a unit. Raising children is not a guessing game. Of course you can never see all bends in the road, but you can purposefully work together to find the solution that works for your unit. The four of us are a team.
Happy Birthday Wyatt. Wylie. Wy-Wy. Wyget.
We're happy you came to complete our team.

I love you-Mommy

No comments: