Thursday, January 18, 2007

You Don't Have to Live Like a Refugee

I had chemo today. It was my next to last.
While I have this cocktail running through my body tonight, to save my life, my dear friend P lost her sister-n-law to a long battle with cancer. The last couple of years for L have been hard. May she now have peace from the pain and fear that she has lived. May she be at rest. May her family celebrate her life and know that she has truly gone home.
All day I have marveled at the fact that chemo is almost over. I have thought a lot about my first treatment and how I couldn't imagine being where I am today. I saw a woman at the hospital today that was getting her first treatment. She was probably in her early 60's. She looked scared but hopeful. We caught each other's eyes and in an instant knew each other's story. I've been thinking about her all day. I wanted to tell her that she would come through it too, but I didn't. If I ever see her again there, I will take her hand and tell she how brave she looked today.

Honey, it dont make no difference to me
Baby, everybodys had to fight to be free
You see, you dont have to live like a refugee
No baby, you dont have to live like a refugee
-Tom Petty


Peace Out

No comments: