Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wide Open Spaces

Last night I went to Cancer Club. I feel like I have wind beneath me to carry another month until we convene again. Those women make me laugh and cry.
I want to give a shout out to my friend Sarah. I met Sarah on the my last chemo Feb 1, 2007. She was still in treatment at the time. Bald but totally beautiful, as was I(bald). There was this connection for me. This intangible- I get you, I know you- thing that sometimes comes when you met someone in the same boat as you. We had some laughs, exchanged emails, off we went on our way. Then I saw her at Club last night. I didn't recognize her with all her hair! We went around doing intros and she said her name!! I was thrilled! My homey from GHC. Welcome Sarah! SO good to see you again.
I was listening to Dixie Chicks this morning on the tread mill. I was walking and crying at the same time. Something I never knew I could do. I am quite uncoordinated. Anyhoo, the words really hit me this time. I have heard the song a million times. I was thinking about the line that says-She won't be coming back with the rest, If these are life's lessons she'll take the test.
That's really how I feel. I am different. I have less body parts, I have no tolernace for silly stuff, but I have this life. I am living a life that I didn't completely agree to, yet here I am. Living. I am not a survivor, I am surviving. I am waking up everyday on this side of the grass and that's a good thing.
I have a new name for my hair do. It's my ChoFro. My fro from my chemo. ChoFro. Smooth over the tongue huh?

Peace Out





She traveled this road as a child
Wide-eyed and grinning she never tired
But now she won't be coming back with the rest
If these are life's lessons, she'll take the test
She needs wide open spaces
Room to make her big mistakes
-Dixie Chicks

4 comments:

qualcosa di bello said...

maria...awesome attitude!!! i *must* tell my best girlfriend about that chofro thing...she is growing her new do right now!!!

MommaBoo said...

Both my mother AND my mother-in-law are breast cancer survivors. This blog is a wonderful outlet for you, I'm sure!

I'm from "She Who Blogs" and I am so glad you decided to join us.

Many blessings to you and your dear family.

:)

Unknown said...

Girlfriend, you are amazing. A chofro-wearing, Dixie Chicks listening, honkeytonk "My Maria" (do you know Brooks and Dunn?) who's staying on this side of the grass!
Hope you sneeze some rainbows today!
(I happen to be a huge Dixie Chicks fan, of course and when i saw your post title, I just had to read it--then when it actually had to DO with the song, well, I was just beside myself;-)) I am so wordy, I know.

Unknown said...

I am SO glad we reconnect too, Maria! I see many a quip and giggle in our future.

Sarah