Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The UnGift

The other day we received a package at our home. There were books for my daughters in the package. I am reading one of the books to my girls and I see a sticker smack dab in the middle of a sentence. I think to myself, wow that's strange that there's a sticker blocking a word. Under further inspection, I lift the sticker and the word underneath it has been altered by the book sender. You could tell it was not a publisher error. The sender of the "gift" tried to alter a word and then covered it up with a sticker.
The word was HAM. As in ham sandwich. As in PORK. The other white meat.
I know for a fact, the sender of this"gift" does not eat HAM. I am pretty sure the sender doesn't want my children to eat it either. But seeing that they came out of my body, I will be the decision maker here. This is not to exclude their father, my partner. We all eat meat in our home and occasionally pork.
I do digress...
My question here is:
Is a gift really a gift when altered only to the senders liking? Wouldn't you just not buy the gift if there was something you didn't like about it? Are you sending it with a open heart when you change it?
This kind of shit makes me crazy. CCCCCRRRRRRAAAAAAAZZZZZYYYYYYYY
Aren't I as a parent the one to filter what my little sponges soak up?
It does no good to address the sender. They will never admit wrong doing. And yes, I think it was wrong to change the word then hide it. Maybe wrong isn't the right word...
Controlling
Weird
Freaky

Peace Out

2 comments:

Cristi and Desiree said...

controlling
wierd
freaky

effed up

whatever :)

Dorcas Anna Warren said...

Are you serious?
I thought this was a joke ... but, I know that it's not.
Who, in the name of all that is holy, sends a gift and takes it upon themselves to put homemade stickers in said gift to, essentially, edit how you raise your own child? That's one of the most passive aggressive things I've ever heard! I don't eat beef. My son eats steak and burgers. My son is a child. I decided that, even though I rarely eat meat, it is EXTREMELY inappropriate to force that on my son ... NOT TO MENTION, OTHER PEOPLES' CHILDREN. I'm in awe of this post. Such actions make for neurotic children.
My opinion: this person needs a good talking to.
Sorry you had to deal with such bollacks Maria.
xoxo
Anna